Don’t knock it till you try it!
• 1 tablespoon of olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 4 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
• 400g/14oz potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
• 450g/1lb broccoli, cut into florets
• 2-3 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
• 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
• 1/3 cup light sour cream (optional)
• 1 tablespoon store-bought basil pesto
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat with the olive oil.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook until lightly browned.
- Add stock and potato to the saucepan. Bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli and simmer for 6-7 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat, add spinach and stir until wilted. Leave to cool slightly so you can blend. This might take up to 15 minutes.
- In a blender add basil leaves and half of the soup mixture and blend until smooth. Pour into a clean saucepan and repeat until all the soup mixture has been blended into a smooth consistency.
- Heat soup over medium heat for 2 minutes or until just before boiling point.
- Combine sour cream and pesto in a bowl. Divide soup among bowls. Top with pesto cream and serve. For a vegan option, simply top with a half teaspoon of the basil pesto and omit the sour cream.
- Divide soup among bowls. Top with pesto cream and serve. For a vegan option, simply top with a half teaspoon of the basil pesto and omit the sour cream.